Choosing the best MMA Gear for beginners
Are you ready to step into the world of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) and unleash your inner warrior? Whether you’re a newbie looking to get in shape or an aspiring fighter ready to take on the ring, choosing the right MMA gear is essential for your success and safety. But with so many options available, it can be overwhelming to navigate through the sea of gloves, shorts, and protective equipment. Fear not, as we’ve got you covered with the ultimate guide to choosing the best MMA gear for beginners.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know before making your purchase. From the importance of quality materials and proper fit to essential gear for different training disciplines, we’ll provide expert advice and recommendations to ensure you’re equipped for victory. Get ready to gear up and unleash your potential in the world of MMA!
Why is quality MMA gear important for beginners?
When it comes to MMA, quality gear is not just a luxury, it’s a necessity. As a beginner, investing in the right gear will not only enhance your performance but also protect you from potential injuries. MMA involves intense physical contact, and having the right gear can make all the difference in terms of comfort, safety, and durability.
First and foremost, quality MMA gear is designed to provide proper protection. This includes gloves, mouthguards, shin guards, and headgear. These pieces of equipment are specifically engineered to absorb impact and reduce the risk of injury during training or competition. By investing in high-quality gear, you can minimize the chances of cuts, bruises, and fractures, allowing you to focus on honing your skills without unnecessary pain or setbacks.
In addition to protection, quality gear also ensures optimal performance. MMA gear is designed to enhance your movement, agility, and overall comfort. Gloves with proper padding and wrist support allow for better striking and grappling techniques, while breathable shorts and rash guards offer flexibility and moisture-wicking properties, keeping you cool and dry during intense training sessions. By choosing gear that is designed for performance, you can maximize your potential and train at your best.
Essential MMA gear for beginners
Now that we understand the importance of quality gear, let’s explore the essential MMA gear every beginner should have in their arsenal. While the specific gear may vary depending on your training goals and preferences, here are the basics you’ll need to get started:
1. **MMA Gloves**: Gloves are arguably the most important piece of gear for any MMA practitioner. They protect your hands and knuckles during striking and grappling, while also providing wrist support. Look for gloves with adequate padding, durable construction, and a secure closure system.
2. **Mouthguard**: A mouthguard is essential for protecting your teeth, jaw, and gums during training or competition. It helps absorb impact and reduce the risk of dental injuries. Invest in a custom-fitted mouthguard for maximum comfort and protection.
3. **Shin Guards**: Shin guards are crucial for defending your shins and preventing injuries during sparring or striking sessions. Look for shin guards that offer a comfortable fit, proper padding, and secure straps to keep them in place.
4. **Headgear**: Headgear provides protection for your head, ears, and temples. It helps absorb impact and reduces the risk of concussions or cuts. Look for headgear that offers a snug fit, good visibility, and adequate padding.
5. **Rash Guards and Shorts**: Rash guards and shorts are worn underneath your gi or as standalone training attire. They provide comfort, flexibility, and moisture-wicking properties. Look for breathable materials that allow for unrestricted movement and quick-drying capabilities.
6. **Groin Protector**: A groin protector is essential for both male and female MMA practitioners. It provides protection for the groin area during striking or grappling. Look for a groin protector that offers a comfortable fit, good flexibility, and adequate padding.
Choosing the right size and fit for MMA gear
When it comes to MMA gear, size and fit are crucial for comfort, performance, and safety. Ill-fitting gear can hinder your movement, cause discomfort, and even increase the risk of injury. Here are some tips for choosing the right size and fit for your MMA gear:
1. **Gloves**: When selecting gloves, ensure they fit snugly but allow room for hand wraps. Measure the circumference of your knuckles and refer to the manufacturer’s size chart for guidance. Remember that gloves may stretch over time, so it’s better to choose a slightly tighter fit.
2. **Shin Guards**: Shin guards should cover the entire shin and provide a secure fit. Measure the length from your knee to your ankle and choose the appropriate size based on the manufacturer’s sizing guide. Look for adjustable straps to customize the fit.
3. **Headgear**: Headgear should fit securely, without obstructing your vision or causing discomfort. Measure the circumference of your head just above your eyebrows and refer to the manufacturer’s size chart. Look for adjustable straps or lace-up closures for a customizable fit.
4. **Rash Guards and Shorts**: Rash guards and shorts should fit snugly without restricting movement. Refer to the manufacturer’s size chart and consider your body measurements. Look for stretchable materials that offer a comfortable fit.
5. **Mouthguard**: For a custom-fit mouthguard, visit a dentist or use a boil-and-bite mouthguard that can be molded to your teeth. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for molding and trimming to ensure a proper fit.
Top brands for MMA gear
With numerous brands offering MMA gear, it can be challenging to determine which ones are reputable and reliable. To help you make an informed decision, here are some top brands known for their quality MMA gear:
1. **Hayabusa**: Hayabusa is renowned for its high-quality gloves, shin guards, and other MMA gear. Their products are designed with advanced technology and innovative features, ensuring durability, comfort, and optimal performance.
2. **Venum**: Venum is a popular brand that offers a wide range of MMA gear, including gloves, shorts, and protective equipment. They are known for their stylish designs, quality craftsmanship, and affordability.
3. **Everlast**: Everlast is a well-established brand in the combat sports industry. They offer a variety of MMA gear, including gloves, shin guards, and training equipment. Everlast products are known for their durability and value for money.
4. **RDX**: RDX is a brand that caters to all levels of MMA practitioners. They offer a range of gear, from entry-level to professional-grade. RDX products are known for their durability, affordability, and excellent customer reviews.
5. **Fairtex**: Fairtex is a Thai brand that specializes in Muay Thai gear, but they also offer a wide range of MMA gear. Their products are handmade and crafted with high-quality materials, ensuring durability and performance.
Where to buy MMA gear
Now that you know which brands to consider, the next question is where to buy your MMA gear. Here are some popular options:
1. **Online Retailers**: Websites such as Amazon, MMA-specific online stores, and brand websites are convenient options for purchasing MMA gear. They offer a wide range of products and often provide customer reviews and ratings to help you make an informed decision.
2. **Local Martial Arts Stores**: Check if there are any local martial arts stores in your area. These stores often carry a variety of MMA gear, allowing you to try on different options and seek expert advice.
3. **Gym Pro Shops**: If you train at a dedicated MMA gym, they may have a pro shop where you can purchase gear. This can be a convenient option as the staff at the gym will be knowledgeable about the gear and can guide you in making the right choices.
4. **Sporting Goods Stores**: Sporting goods stores such as Dick’s Sporting Goods or Academy Sports + Outdoors may carry a selection of MMA gear. While the options may be limited compared to specialized stores, it’s worth checking out if you prefer to shop in person.
5. **Second-hand Market**: If you’re on a tight budget, consider checking out second-hand marketplaces like eBay or Facebook Marketplace. You may find used MMA gear in good condition at a fraction of the price.
Budget-friendly options for beginners
If you’re just starting out in MMA and don’t want to break the bank, there are budget-friendly options available that still offer decent quality. Here are some tips for finding affordable MMA gear:
1. **Consider entry-level gear**: Many brands offer entry-level gear that is specifically designed for beginners. While these products may not have all the bells and whistles of their higher-end counterparts, they still provide adequate protection and functionality.
2. **Look for sales and discounts**: Keep an eye out for sales, promotions, and discounts on MMA gear. Sign up for newsletters or follow brands and retailers on social media to stay updated on any upcoming sales. This can be a great way to snag quality gear at a more affordable price.
3. **Check out clearance sections**: Some online retailers and stores have clearance sections where you can find discounted MMA gear. These items may be from previous seasons or discontinued models, but they can still offer good value for money.
4. **Buy in sets or bundles**: Some brands offer gear sets or bundles that include multiple items at a discounted price. This can be a cost-effective way to get all the essential gear you need without breaking the bank.
5. **Consider second-hand gear**: As mentioned earlier, the second-hand market can be a great option for finding affordable MMA gear. Just make sure to thoroughly inspect the gear for any signs of damage or wear before making a purchase.
Maintenance and care for MMA gear
To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your MMA gear, proper maintenance and care are essential. Here are some tips to keep your gear in top condition:
1. **Clean after each use**: Wipe down your gloves, shin guards, and other gear with a damp cloth or antibacterial wipe after each use. This helps remove sweat, dirt, and bacteria that can cause odors and deterioration.
2. **Air dry thoroughly**: After cleaning, allow your gear to air dry completely before storing it. Avoid direct sunlight or high heat, as it can damage the materials. Hang your gear in a well-ventilated area or use a drying rack.
3. **Wash rash guards and shorts**: Rash guards and shorts should be washed regularly to remove sweat, bacteria, and odor. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for washing, as some materials may require specific care.
4. **Replace worn-out gear**: Keep an eye on the condition of your gear and replace any items that show signs of wear and tear. This includes frayed straps, worn-out padding, or gloves with compromised stitching.
5. **Store properly**: When not in use, store your gear in a clean, dry, and well-ventilated area. Avoid leaving it in a gym bag or confined space, as it can promote the growth of bacteria and cause unpleasant odors. Consider using gear bags or storage containers to keep everything organized.
Expert tips for selecting the best MMA gear
To further assist you in selecting the best MMA gear for beginners, here are some expert tips to keep in mind:
1. **Seek advice from experienced practitioners or trainers**: If possible, consult experienced MMA practitioners or trainers for recommendations on gear. They can provide valuable insights based on their own experiences and help you make informed choices.
2. **Read customer reviews**: Before making a purchase, read customer reviews and ratings for the specific gear you’re interested in. This can give you a better understanding of the product’s quality, durability, and performance.
3. **Try before you buy**: If you have the opportunity, try on gear before purchasing. This is especially important for items like gloves or headgear, as comfort and fit can vary between brands.
4. **Invest in quality over quantity**: While it may be tempting to buy the cheapest gear available, investing in quality gear will save you money in the long run. Quality gear lasts longer, performs better, and provides better protection, making it a worthwhile investment.
5. **Consider your training goals**: Different training disciplines may require specific gear. For example, if you’re primarily focused on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, investing in a quality gi may be more important than purchasing multiple pairs of gloves.
CHAMPS MMA Boxing Reflex Ball -Improve Reaction Speed and Hand Eye Coordination Training Boxing Equipment for Training at Home, Boxing Gear for MMA Equipment, Punching Ball Reflex Bag (Beginner)
Boxing Reflex Balls Set of 4 – Boxing Ball MMA Gear of with Varying Weights with Adjustable Headband and 4 Spare Strings to Improve Speed and Hand-Eye Coordination for Men, Kids Boxing Equipment
Sanabul Essential Professional Boxing MMA Kickboxing Head Gear (Blue, L/XL)
WIRUN Taekwondo Kickboxing Foot Protector Gear Karate Boxing Feet Guard Martial Arts Training Fight Punch Bag Sparring MMA WTF UFC Thi for Men Women Kids Beginner (Black, Large)
SOTF Men Breathable Running Shorts MMA Boxing Fitness Sports Shorts Black Gray M Waist 33-34.6 inch
Conclusion: Start your MMA journey with the right gear
Congratulations! You’ve reached the end of our ultimate guide to choosing the best MMA gear for beginners. By now, you should have a solid understanding of why quality gear is important, the essential gear you’ll need, how to choose the right size and fit, where to buy your gear, and tips for finding budget-friendly options. Remember, investing in quality gear is an investment in your safety, performance, and overall enjoyment of MMA. So gear up, stay focused, and unleash your potential in the world of Mixed Martial Arts. Good luck on your MMA journey!
Paul is a 44 year old Online Marketeer and Dad to a beautifull daughter who started Judo and Japanese Jiu Jitsu.
After a few lessons Paul joined a class where the parents where allowed to go on the mat with the kids.
Since then Paul is hooked and he immediately started immerging himself in the world of martial arts.